Thursday, April 9, 2009

Now for the real post...

I picked up an audio cd called marriage fitness by Mort Fertel (sp?). It actually has some pretty good stuff in it- the main theme being to "put love first." It sounds cooler when he says it. From me any statement about love comes out rather lame.

As a man raised in the southeastern US that played sports I was always taught to be strong, tough, and that men should swallow their feelings to get the job done. Well, I've been unknowingly following this conditioning for years and it isn't working. I work my ass off and sacrifice so much for those that I am supposed to provide for only to realize that they seem to think that I mostly go off and play all day. Jesus, that would be great- but no. To be honest, if it wasn't for the wife and kids I would still be a happy ex patriot in China or Japan. I honestly never would have come back. But China is no place to raise a family. Well, unless you're Chinese.

Anyway, enough whining. Back to Mort. He has eight suggestions for marriage fitness. My favorites are:

1. Talk about non logistical stuff 5 times a day for at least a minute each time.
2. Take the time at least once a week to talk face to face about non logistical matters.
3. Touch lovingly five times a day.
4. Give 3 times a day to your spouse. Doesn't have to be a thing.
5. Schedule quarterly love retreats with only your spouse.

I have begun implementing this program. I am probably violating his copyright stuff by posting this- but I think it's awesome. You should buy it.

I am going to attempt to take the mrs off on a love retreat this week. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment